Sunday, August 8, 2010

Fair Time (Denise)

All went well at the fair. I entered in about 10 items. I made back a bit more than I spent. That is the goal.

I took a class on boundweave. Boundweave is set up on wide spaced warp threads on a 4 or 6 heddle loom. I used 8/3 linen rug warp at 6 ends per inch (epi). Using a 2-2 twill pattern for the beginning and ending, I created the sampler pattern. It just depends on what colors you shoot across. The twill pattern progresses in the same order, the colors just change. 4 shots = one color row. Logically this is ideal for rugs. The center part is figurative boundweave (you can see figures). That is woven on a 1-3 twill. The same principle applies, the colors make the pattern, not the weaving.

My dad's sweater took second because of the neckline. While it was knitted perfectly, I have a line of elastic thread in there. The weight of the garment distorts the sweater. The elastic holds it together. A note in the future - save the elastic till after judging.

My pillow is finally done. using 20/2 cotton thread wasn't wise for a first project on my floor loom. Progress was very slow.

My drop spindle yarns did well enough. I did them while watching my kids in swimming lessons. The gray Gotland is a bit over-plied. That's why it got the "that's nice" award.

By boucle got second. With more subdued colors it may have done better. Who knows. On to the next!

No comments:

Post a Comment