Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Finished Columbia Blanket - Denise

As promised, here is the picture of my finished blanket. I added the satin binding. This is a light-weight and warm throw blanket. I've already had to kick the cats off to use it.



  • I had to be careful of a few things.
  • The nature of Columbia fleece is a bouncy. It is crisp and soft at the same time. This made the weft quite stretchy.
  • When I added the binding (non-stretch) I had to be careful no to distort the fabric. Before beginning, I hit the ends with a few quick shots with the steam iron. If anything was stretched, this brought it back into shape.
  • I carefully pinned and overlapped the ends with the satin. I used a simple zig-zag stitch to attach.
I used the Toothbrush nalbinding stitch using a large yarn darning needle. It makes a nice, clean, strong edge
  • After attaching and looping around my thumb twice (it will be hidden by the binding) I picked up the stitches.
  • The shot of warp thread (I had some long spaces that I needed to pick up 2 warp threads),
  • the last stitch made (2nd loop - it will appear after you make it. Just do the 1st stitch twice),
  • then under the thumb. Be careful not to pull the stitch too tight or it will pucker the entire fabric.
  • It is easier to use manageable lengths and spit-join the pieces. No one will know.


I do have mistakes in this blanket. Some I cleverly hid. Others I left so I will remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment