Monday, July 5, 2010

Space Dyed with Kool-Aid (Denise)

I planned on using my solar oven, but the storm clouds rolled in. I went with Plan B instead - the microwave oven.

I know some of you will be horribly shocked that I dyed with the same nuker I cook, but it is food grade dyes. The things in Kool-aid (KA) are less than in chicken nuggets or hot dogs.

Here my daughter is helping me paint the 4 oz. Shetland/mohair roving I bought from Jan Johnson some time ago.

I mixed the KA in 3/4 cup hot water and 1/4 cup vinegar. I soaked the wool for about 40 minutes beforehand in a slightly soapy water. I put down newspaper and plastic wrap and then laid out the roving. We chose what went first and painted. All the dye was used up.

I folded over the ends and rolled up the roving. I placed everything in a Ziploc bag to control the mess. Alternating 2 minutes nuked and 2 minutes rest, it cooked for about 6 minutes. I slowly cooled it down (in the bag). I rinsed and this is what it looked like. Not bad? It smells good too.

I've spun it up and it is destined to become some boucle yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment