Sunday, November 14, 2010

Making Your Acid Dyes Work For You - Denise

I'm a member of Dyehappy (Yahoo). The daily discussions and posts have improved my understanding of the different dyes and their preferred uses. I'm no expert, but I've gone from "What?" to "Got it."

In a post the other day one person asked about the amount of vinegar to use in preparing a dye bath for dyeing wool. Her concern was since the recipe was for American vinegar (5%) and she had (I guess) German (she referred to vinegard at 35%). She wanted to know know how much to use.

To sum up, poster Ian Bowers (from the UK) explained the exact amount depends on pH level. Now, I can see everyone's heart's begin to palpitate and palms begin to sweat. This isn't going to be a science class...not really. With M. Bower's help, I now understand how managing the dyebath will help me get better, more consistent results in dyeing. The amount of fiber and strength of acid is of very little importance. (Just go with me here - I've had my dye strike too fast with too much acid.) With acid dyes, maintaining the acid will allow the dye to strike at a consistent and controlled rate. I won't waste my resources.

Lets begin.
  1. Get some pH strips. You will need those. They should be available where you buy your pool or spa chemicals. Sometimes even at (cringe) Wal-mart.
  2. You need to check the pH of the water you use. M. Bowers' place of work has pH that varies from 7.5-9.3 in one day. Mine is processed river water. You can use filtered water.
  3. M. Bowers says, "The only competent way is to place the fibre in the bath and then add vinegar (or citric acid if cost is no object), aim for pH around 6 (except for some Jacquard dyes which are strong acid dyes and require a pH around 4. Ideally check the pH at 'half-time' and adjust with more acid if necessary. As an aside, brown vinegar does not stain the fibre, and is cheaper.
For some people this may seem like a lot of standing around, but I'm there watching my fiber anyway. I have the strips. I've had "interesting" dyeing experiences and not understood why. I'm beginning to piece together the science behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment