Monday, November 1, 2010

New Spool Rack (Denise)

I've been waiting for my dad to make me a spool rack. For a variety of reasons, the project has been put off. Well, I got tired of waiting since my loom was sitting empty and was ready for my next project. I needed a spool rack to use with my sectional warp.

I made my own spool rack out PVC pipe. This is functional, and almost literate as a weaving tool.
To make this project, you'll need the following:
  • 4 - 90 degree elbows
  • 2 - 10' lengths of 3/4" PVC pipe (I found some pre-cut lengths so I only had to buy one)
  • 2 - 1/2" pipe about 2' long (I found some pre-cut lengths)
  • PVC pipe cutters (I used the ratcheting kind)
  • tape measure
  • permanent marker
  • 3/16" round wire (for the spools)
  • drill and drill bit larger than 3/16"
  • bolt cutters (cut the wire)
  • 2 self tapping screws 1-1/4" long
This construction is not exact science. So, decide a how many spools across? I did 4. It came out about 20-1/2"... on the inside, give or take. The wire needs to be a bit wider than half-way so it will stick in the holes and slots. The permanent marker is good for marking on PVC pipe.

It's about 41" long. I measured every 4" (centered 2" for the holes) along the sides on an extra piece as a template so the sides would be even. I drilled holes on one side and a slot on the other. Again this isn't exact or perfect. It will do, for now.

The 3/16" gauge round wire comes in 36" lengths. I could get 2 sections. So for 40 spools, that's 5 wires cut roughly in half and trimmed to fit.

The last step was to drill the 1/2" PVC pipe to the 3/4" pipe using the self tapping screws as a support.
Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea, I may have to do the same thing! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete