Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Getting My Money's Worth (Denise)

I am completely baffled. I wanted a plum color. I weighed my wool and yarn. I calculated twice to make sure I got the right numbers. I measured the dyestuff. I made the dyebath. It looked like the right color in the pot.

From the same dyebath I got:
1st batch: mallard blue green - pretty but not what I had in mind. It looks like the magenta didn't strike.


2nd batch: periwinkle - The dye wasn't used up, so I figured I could dye up anything. The leftover white bats were closer to the plum.

3rd batch: God knows. I'm leaving it to completely cool down, maybe overnight. It looks more magenta than plum. But now I'm curious, how will this turn out.

As you can see, below, the pale plum color is the one I wanted. My husband has a hard time with all these colors from one dye vat.

I'm certainly getting my money's worth. I wonder why the magenta didn't strike? Any ideas?

Does the magenta strike in the declining temperature as it sits in the cool down?

3 comments:

  1. Maybe not what you had expected, but lovely colors nonetheless.

    Leave it to you to get more than you bargained for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen that happen. I would do everything I could to contact Judith MacKenzie and hear what she thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a lot of dying with acid dyes (similar to these I would guess) and I have found out something important. If I wait to add the vinegar until the end, the dyes bond in a particular order. First, a little of the entire formula will quickly bond. Then the red goes on, then the blue, and finally the yellow. This is with ProChem dyes, so maybe the MacKenzie dyes go on in a different order. When I add the vinegar at the beginning, (which I used to avoid, for fear that the color would 'grab' too fast) it is much better. All the colors go on together, evenly. So much better!

    So try adding the vinegar in the beginning, and then wait until the bath is entirely clear to remove your fiber. If you remove it early, while there is still dye in the pot, then you will not get the color you intend with your formula. A lot of the dye may not bond until the water gets nearly boiling, depending on what color you are dyeing, and how dark. Just try on a few scraps until you get a good process going. Good luck!

    I produce a huge range of colors just using the primaries and black. You can see more info at my new blog too! I will be adding a lot of info as time goes on, and there are also references to articles I write on ezinearticles. I enjoy helping others learn the craft!

    http://susan-raminthethicket.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete