Sunday, May 16, 2010

Pickled Beet Dyeing (Denise)


This was my first foray into natural dyeing. While it worked well, just not quite what I had in mind. I had imagined a deeper color. I realize that if I wanted that, I should have used fresh beets rather than canned pickled beets. There just weren't enough beet pieces to make the colors I wanted.

Next time, I'm buying lots of fresh and chopping them up.

There's about 3-5/8 oz of superwash. I didn't use a premaordant. I did use vinegar in the beets to help set the color.
My steps:
  1. Open 2 cans of of pickled beets and dump into bucket. Simmer them for about 45 minutes. I probably didn't need to, but it gave the kids and me something to do.
  2. I added the pre-soaking roving and heated it all to simmering.
  3. I turned off the stove and left it to cool down. Since I don't like the smell, when it got cool enough, I moved it out to the porch.
  4. This morning, I drained, washed the roving. I set it out to dry.
  5. I decided I liked the color.

No comments:

Post a Comment